This error occurs for several reason, but it can be fixed by applying a hotfix that replaces some libraries. However, follow the steps outlined in this KB article https://www.veeam.com/kb2027 as is relevant to this type of errors, if none of them work out, then you’re in the right place!
NOTE: The hotfix I’ve uploaded is in PDF format but it is a ZIP file, wordpress doesn’t allow to upload ZIP files.
– Download this ZIP file and replace them on your affected VM C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\VSS\VeeamGuestHelpres\. (rename it from PDF to ZIP)
In my architecture we are working with a VM with the following software:
– SQL Version: Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Standard Edition (64-bit)
– OS Version: Windows Server 2012 Standard
– Veeam Backup & Replication 18.104.22.1684
The error or warning shows a full text like this:
Unable to truncate SQL server transaction logs. Details: Failed to process ‘TruncateSQLLog’ command.
Failed to truncate transaction logs for SQL instances: MICROSOFT##WID. Possible reasons: lack of permissions, or transaction log corruption.
In your Veeam console you may see something like this:
To fix this, follow these steps:
1. Download the new files here (I got them directly from Veeam Support – make sure to rename it form pdf to zip)
2. Copy the zip file or extracted files to you VM.
3. Connect to the affected VM and find the path C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\VSS\VeeamGuestHelpres\. Where you’re going to see some libraries like VeeamVSSSupport*
4. Take a backup of those files
5. Replace the files with the new files. The new files size should be similar to this:
6. Execute the backup job in your Veeam Console
The issue will be fixed after you replace the old files for the new files.